Download Vivaldi. Vivaldi browser runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Select your operating system below to get started. Vivaldi browser protects you from trackers, blocks unwanted ads, and puts you in control with unique built-in features. Top 10 Best Mac Web Browsers – You are Not Stuck with Safari Forever. January 11, 2013, admin, 31 Comments. Browsing is highly important nowadays. People often rely on the internet for news, entertainment, and social tools.
- Web Browsers For Mac Computers
- Mozilla Web Browsers For Mac
- Web Browser For Mac 10.7.5
- Web Browsers For Mac Firefox
Get all best apps via Setapp
Since most of your working (or even entertainment) time today is spent in your web browser window, it's likely the most important app on your computer. Without a doubt, there are lots of web browsers for Mac, but not all of them were created equal. So you might be wondering what is the best web browser for Mac.
After all, not everyone's needs are the same. You might be striving for speed or safety, or alternative ways of surfing online. And with Microsoft Edge set to appear on Mac shortly, the competition to become the top browser for Mac is getting fierce — but there's no need to try them all.
Use Setapp for better Internet browsing
Have the fastest and strongest browser with Setapp, a toolkit of Mac apps that speed up and improve your browsing experience.
The browser comparison below will outline all strengths and weaknesses of all the contenders on the market today to reveal the best browser for Mac you need.
What Makes The Best Web Browser
Depending on how exactly you use your Mac browser, you might require different features and specialties. Generally, there are four broad categories that make people sway one way or another.
Familiarity: Use something regularly for a while and you'll develop muscle memory, which makes it extremely hard to switch to anything else. This is the main reason most people keep using the first web browser they've tried. But it’s important to realize that experimenting with alternative browsers is not hard and might present you with much better options in no time.
Speed: Slow speed might quickly kill even the best web browser for Mac. If you think about it, no one has ever asked for their webpage to take more time to load.
Security: A lucky few might have never been the target of a hack or malware with a potential to disrupt or in some cases destroy a computer. But there's no such thing as being too careful. While some browsers are optimized for ease of use, there are safe browsers too that are secure from the ground up.
Bells and whistles: For some, it's the little things that matter most. Looking for Chromecast support? Configurable shortcuts? Extension libraries? All best internet browsers try to differentiate themselves in various ways to tailor to particular audiences.
The top browser for Mac out of the box: Safari
It could be that the best browser for Mac is the one that comes with every Mac already. Apple's proprietary web browser for Mac, Safari, is preinstalled on all Apple devices and is generally a good choice. No shame here for not bothering to explore alternative browsers at all.
Safari is good because Apple doesn't do things by half measures. Benchmarks suggest that when it comes to Safari vs Firefox, Safari loads HTML twice as fast, and four times as fast for Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Makes sense — no one knows Apple hardware better than Apple, so they have all the trump cards for near-perfect speed optimization. Safari might well be the fastest browser for Mac.
In terms of extras, Safari has a decent support for third-party plugins and integrates perfectly with your iOS and watchOS devices.
- Blazing-fast speed
- Already installed on your Mac
Not so great:
- Lacks Chromecast support and some other plugins
The most popular web browser: Chrome
Chrome is by far the top browser for Mac and other operating systems when it comes to popularity — some reports suggest that 70% of people on the web use it. But does that mean it’s the best web browser for Mac?
It could be. First of all, Chrome is generally one of the fastest web browsers. Second, it uses Google's proprietary Sandbox security technology, so you're completely safe running all kinds of websites on it. Third, Chrome's extension library is the largest on the market, allowing you to transform the browser into the tool for all your needs.
Even better, when you sign into your Google account on any Chrome browser anywhere, it'll load your bookmarks and logins right away. So if you're constantly using different computers, Chrome is a great choice (just remember to log out if you're using public ones).
When it comes to Safari vs Chrome, Safari wins as the best browser for Mac, whereas Chrome takes the crown if you find yourself jumping between operating systems.
- Fast and secure
- The best third-party support for browser extensions
- Travels well by signing into Chrome from anywhere
- Fully integrated with Chromecast
Not so great:
- Not as fast as Safari
dogfox web browser: Mozilla Firefox for Mac
Though it's not as commonly used as Safari or Chrome, Firefox is not without its share of devoted fans. It's been a mainstay in the browser wars for many years now and is maybe the most recognized one of the alternative browsers for people who would rather not support megalithic companies like Apple or Google. So do you want to download Firefox for Mac?
Web Browsers For Mac Computers
Unfortunately, sometimes the underdog is the underdog for a reason. Firefox is quite a bit slower when it comes to loading webpages. And while you can sign into your Firefox account for bookmarks just like in Google Chrome, the fact that it’s not a standard option on most computers in the way Chrome is makes this feature less useful.
Add to that a busy design that looks at odds with macOS, and when it comes to Safari vs Firefox as the best browser for Mac, Safari is the clear winner.
- Open-source development
- Long-established user base
- Firefox account to sync bookmarks across computers
Not so great:
- Slow by modern web standards
- Busy design
The 'could be a contender' browser: Opera for Mac
Opera has been around for years, but it's always been the 'also-ran' of the alternative browsers. But things could be different now: Opera today comes with a free VPN, ad-block, and built-in messenger client support right out of the box. The free VPN alone makes this browser worth downloading and checking out.
In the backend, Opera usings the same Blink Engine that powers Chrome, so you can be sure of its speed. Add to that integrated phishing and malware lists and you have a fast and secure browser. Some could argue that given recent Opera innovations it might have surpassed Firefox as the third-best web browser. It also might now be the best new browser for Mac, depending on what you’re looking for.
- Free VPN
- Just as fast as Chrome
- Great default ad and malware blocking
Not so great:
- Less third-party support compared to Chrome
- Low adoption
How to change default browser on Mac
So now that you have so many options to try — explore their websites and download the ones that you like. Just remind yourself that you're not yet fully committed to any single one.
But once you decide which one is your favorite, you need to know how to change default browser on Mac:
- Click on the Apple menu ➙ System Preferences
- Navigate to the General tab
- Find a dropdown menu marked 'Default web browser' and click on it to choose from the browsers you've installed
The top browser for Mac is what you make of it
Mozilla Web Browsers For Mac
In the end, it doesn't matter too much which browser is the best — if you like it and feel like it does what you need it to do, then everybody's happy. What matters the most is whether or not you can customize the browser to your needs. That means downloading extensions that make the most of your internet experience.
If you've ever been watching a YouTube video and thought, 'I wish there was a safe and easy way to download this video,' then you absolutely need to check out Downie.
Capture video from any browser
Try a seamless video downloader that works with any browser. With Downie, you’ll be able to instantly save videos from 1000+ sites.
Downie is an app for your Mac that lets you drag and drop videos from any website onto your computer. It works like magic:
- Copy a link from Vimeo or YouTube or anywhere else
- Open Downie and hit ⌘ + V to paste the link
- The download will start automatically
Even for times when you can't find a song anywhere but streaming video, use Downie to simply download the audio file. Brilliant!
Want to edit or format that file? Downie blends seamlessly with Permute, which lets you combine videos, edit them down, or convert the file type:
- Drag and drop a video onto Permute
- Choose to work with Audio or Video
- Use the dropdown to choose the file format to convert to
- Click Start
Yet another great app to completely unlock your browser is Inboard. Designed to easily capture screenshots from your screen so that you can create collages and moodboards, Inboard lets you cut and paste images from your Mac browser, and even make a Pinterest-style inspiration board from all your captured pictures.
Best of all, Downie, Permute, and Inboard are all available to try absolutely free for seven days when you sign up for Setapp, an app subscription services that gives you over 150 different apps for every possible use case. Now that’s a Mac browser transformed!
Meantime, prepare for all the awesome things you can do with Setapp.Read on
Whenever something pops into your mind, you open your browser to do research on it. The browser is an old fashion way of searching for things on the internet, whether you want to buy an accessory or search for a home remedy for common ailments.
Mac has Safari as an inbuilt browser which is an efficient and fast browser. But it is not a bad idea to keep an alternative in case the native application crashes.
So, in this article, we have discussed some of the best browsers for Mac in 2020 if you‘re looking for a suitable alternative.
List of Contents
11 Fastest Internet Browser For Mac
To provide you fastest browsing experience, Here is the list of 11 best web browsers for MacOS:
1. Brave Browser:
A new and emerging browser for Mac, Brave is secure, private and fast. Brave is open source and focuses on your privacy. Brave is a lightweight Mac browser.
Web Browser For Mac 10.7.5
Features of Brave:
- It is 8 times faster than regular browsers.
- It blocks ads, trackers, and unwanted content so you don’t have to deal with them.
- With “Private Tabs with Tor*” feature, it provides true private browsing experience along with enhanced protection
2. Opera –
An older name, Opera is one of the best browsers for Mac in 2020 as it is fast and smooth. It is famous to access faster speed with low-speed connection based on the server size compression technique.
Features of Opera:
- It allows you to easily navigate and provides you with browsing experience
- It has an inbuilt torrent download browser options.
- It is streamlined and designed for those who want a responsive browser that meets their needs.
- It has integrated phishing protection, integrated RSS feeds, and integrated email clients.
- To properly operate the browser, one needs to strictly adhere to coding.
- The extensions built into Opera are not always easy to find.
3. Google Chrome:
One of the most popular browsers, widely used on Windows, Google Chrome is a good option for a Fastest browser. It is fast, secure and free, and it runs on multiple platforms. It’s clutter free interface makes it easy to use.
Features of Google Chrome:
- It lets you search and navigate from the same box.
- It offers a wide range of easily obtained and installed extensions to customize the browser as you like.
- There’s support for parental controls and has settings to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Kills the battery (if you are running a portable Mac) and hogs the RAM.
- If you accidentally close the browser, Chrome will close all the tabs opened without warning.
Must Read: Photoshop Scratch Disk Full – Guide on How To Fix
4. Mozilla Firefox –
With inbuilt privacy, Mozilla is one of the trusted and best browsers for Mac. It has features that protect you from phishing schemes, viruses and more.
Features of Mozilla Firefox:
- Mozilla is a secure browser but with extensions like NoScript and FlashBlock available it can become the safest.
- It provides excellent network security, a user-friendly interface and many add-ons for customized browsing.
- It has an embedded memory which means that if you turn off your computer by mistake, it will remember the Internet page you had opened and offer to get them back for you.
- It has intuitive navigation.
- Sometimes, you end up getting an error while opening a website, as Mozilla is not compatible with it.
- Mozilla Firefox uses more memory than other browsers and has slow startup time.
One of the best browsers for Mac, Maxthon has a good interface on the home screen of the browser.
Features of Maxthon:
- One of the best thing about Maxthon is that it keeps the PC’s working condition optimized while working on it and doesn’t hog the system’s performance.
- It boosts up the internet connection to an extent and it tries to open the web page faster.
- Maxthon is independent of operating systems as well as the device itself as it is cloud based with all OS interlocked to each other.
- It has a good feature which doesn’t let you fill the information on websites you visited in the past when you visit it for the next time as it saves the information for you.
- It doesn’t offer a wide range of extensions.
- Maxthon lacks some of the features such as voice interaction commands and open-source development.
Web Browsers For Mac Firefox
Camino is also a good alternative, as it is an open source web browser which focuses on offering the best web experience for the users of Mac OS X.
Features of Camino:
- Camino Browser offers fast connection and there’s integrated flash block which helps you save the bandwidth.
- The bookmark bar allows multiple lines of bookmarks.
- It has sleek interface with simple and elegant look.
- It also offers all the functionality & style that is expected from Mac OS X programs.
- It does not have undo-close tab.
- It does not have an option to rearrange tabs as it does not allow moving of tabs
7. Omni Web
Omni Web is one of the best browsers available for Mac as it is the powerful web browser for Mac.
Features of Omni Web:
- It has numerous features like Visual Tabs, adding websites to shortcuts, automatic rendering of web pages, etc.
- You can change the font of any web page if you are not liking it.
- The browser handles the entire RSS feed which is indeed a great feature.
- The browser is slow.
- It hogs the system resources as it uses a large amount of RAM.
- It has a simple and clutter free interface.
- Yandex has Turbo mode, which never lets the browser speed go slow. Whenever internet speeds drop, Turbo mode is enabled, which speeds up how fast pages load and save on your data charges.
- It protects your passwords and bank card details and keeps your online payments safe from theft.
An open source Chromium browser with some similarities to Opera, Vivaldi is one of the best browsers available for Mac.
Features of Vivaldi
- It has awesome tab management. They are functional, work great, can be tiled, have previews and stack well.
- It enables you to access all the goodies from the chrome store, which is not that of a surprise as it uses Chromium platform.
- It provides you with several options to customize the browser according to your preferences.
- It downloads faster even after slow internet speed.
- Just as Chrome, this browser also hogs up the system resources.
- There is no way to sync passwords, settings, bookmarks online
Must Read: How To Analyze Disk Space On Mac
Yet another browser, which is counted in the list of fastest browsers for Mac due to its super light-weightiness and it looks like Google Chrome.
Features of Stainless
- It features a dual-purpose search address bar, which makes searching and navigating very smooth.
- It has an independent tabbed browsing which means one tab won’t crash your whole browser.
- Parallel browsing mode allows multiple email clients open at once.
- It is fast and easy to use.
- It has a few configuration options
- It doesn’t have any extensions available yet
Web-browser, advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, with all these features Sea Monkey definitely deserves to be on the list of best browsers for Mac.
Features of SeaMonkey:
- The browser is fast and responsive than several among the list.
- It contains a cookie manager which lets you view & delete the cookies created when surfing.
- It has several other features, like a password manager, customizable toolbars & the ability to restore the sessions.
- It doesn’t have mouse gestures or voice interaction for multi-modal browsing
- The browser is not sleek and it can’t be used with ease.
This concludes our list of the best browsers for Mac. these browsers are lightweight and will give you the fastest browsing experience. Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.