TAR is a software utility used for collecting several files into one archive file, including videos and images, in one for easier distribution or archiving. The resulting TAR files contain useful information about the files they contain, such as user permissions, dates, directory structures and more. Open/Extract TAR File on Mac. To open/extract TAR file on Mac, you can use Mac OS built-in utility Archive Utility, or third-part freeware. For example: GUI Tar, The Unarchiver, Keka, or B1 Free Archiver. B1 Free Archiver is recommended. B1 Free Archiver is a free software for creating archive folder and extracting archive file.
TAR (Tape ARchive) is both a file format (in the form of a type of archive bitstream) and the name of a program used to handle such files. The format was created in the early days of Unix and standardized by POSIX.1-1988 and later POSIX.1-2001.
Initially developed to write data to sequential I/O devices for tape backup purposes, tar is now commonly used to collect many files into one larger file for distribution or archiving, while preserving file system information such as user and group permissions, dates, and directory structures.
A tar archive consists of a series of file objects. Each file object includes any file data, and is preceded by a 512-byte header record. The file data is written unaltered except that its length is rounded up to a multiple of 512 bytes. The original tar implementation did not care about the padding and left the buffer unaltered, but most modern tar implementations fill the extra space with zeros. The end of an archive is marked by at least two consecutive zero-filled records. (The origin of tar's record size appears to be the 512-byte disk sectors used in the Version 7 Unix file system.) The final block of an archive is padded out to full length with zeros.
The tar format continues to be used extensively in Unix, Linux and OS X. Linux versions use features prominently in various software distributions, with most software source code made available in .tar.gz (gzip compressed tar archives). The tar format is a basis of some types of containment and distribution.
tar archive files usually have the extension .tar, as in somefile.tar. The pun, tarball, is used to refer to a tar file.
A tar archive file contains uncompressed byte streams of the files which it contains. To achieve archive compression, a variety of compression programs are available, such as gzip, bzip2, xz, lzip, lzma, or compress, which compress the entire tar archive. Typically, the compressed form of the archive receives a filename by appending the format-specific compressor suffix to the archive file name. For example, a tar archive archive.tar, is named archive.tar.gz, when it is compressed by gzip.
|.tbz, .tbz2, .tb2||.tar.bz2||bzip2|
Tar File Extractor For Mac
Open/Extract TAR File on Windows
To open/extract TAR file on Windows, you can use 7-Zip, Easy 7-Zip, PeaZip, and so on. I recommend Easy 7-Zip. The Easy 7-Zip is an easy-to-use version of 7-Zip. The open source freeware keeps all features of 7-Zip and adds a few useful features that makes the software more user-friendly.
Easy 7-Zip works on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/2008/2003/XP/2000 (both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible).
- Free Download Easy 7-Zip
- Install Easy 7-Zip by step-by-step instructions
- The installation will associate TAR with Easy 7-Zip automatically
- Double-click on TAR file to open TAR file with Easy 7-Zip
- Alternatively, Right-click on TAR file on Windows Explorer
You will see files or folders within the TAR file then, click button Extract to extract the TAR file.
And then, choose Extract files..., Extract Here, or Extract to 'folder' to extract the TAR file.
Easy 7-Zip Download Links:
Open/Extract TAR File on Mac
Tar File Mac Terminal
To open/extract TAR file on Mac, you can use Mac OS built-in utility Archive Utility, or third-part freeware. For example: GUI Tar, The Unarchiver, Keka, or B1 Free Archiver. B1 Free Archiver is recommended. B1 Free Archiver is a free software for creating archive folder and extracting archive file. B1 Archiver works on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac and Android. The freeware supports most popular formats including TAR.
B1 Free Archiver is compatible with:
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Open/Extract TAR File on Linux
You need to use command tar. The tar is the GNU version of tar archiving utility.
To extract/unpack a tar file, type:
|$ tar -xvf file.tar|
To extract/unpack a .tar.gz (gzip) file, type:
|$ tar -xzvf file.tar.gz|
To extract/unpack a .tar.bz2 (bzip2) file, type:
|$ tar -xjvf file.tar.bz2|
Tar Program For Mac OsCopyright © 2013-2017 James Hoo All rights reserved.
- MicroZip v.2.1MicroZip is a powerful file compression utility for mobile phones which allows you to create and extract compressed archives in multiple formats and encrypt sensitive information with powerful AES-256 encryption. MicroZip can create and extract ...
- GUI Tar for Mac OS v.1.2.2A wrapper application which acts as the front end to the 7za, tar, gzip, bzip2, uncompress, unrar, unzip, and zip UNIX utilities. The operating system itself handles the complicated work, while GUI Tar provides a pleasant and easy method to interact ...
- GUI Tar v.1.2.3GUI Tar 1.2.3 is a useful UNIX utility that lets users wrap and zip 7za, tar, gzip, bzip2 file types. The operating system itself handles the complicated work, while GUI Tar provides a pleasant and easy method to interact with these system tools. GUI ...
- Extract Files Action for Mac OS v.1.01The new Extract Files Action for OS X Automator allows you to extract any combination files by file extension or file type. This is very useful for video and photo workflows. For example you could extract all jpg, tiff and gif and then use another ...
- Extract Movies Action for Mac OS v.0.5bThe Extract Movies action, extracts videos from a list of files, folders or nested folders and passes them on to the next action. This action is ideal for automating your video workflow.Currently the action supports the .mkv, .avi, .mov, .mp4, ...
- GNU Prolog for Mac OS X v.1.4.0What is GNU Prolog GNU Prolog is a free Prolog compiler with constraint solving over finite domains developed by Daniel Diaz. GNU Prolog accepts Prolog+constraint programs and produces native binaries (like gcc does from a C source). The ...
- Extensible GNU Awk, with XML, PostgreSQL v.1.0An extension of GAWK, the GNU implementation of the AWK Programming Language, for processing XML data. XMLgawk is just one of the extensions that come with the xgawk distribution. The others are the PostgreSQL and the MPFR ...
- GDL - GNU Data Language v.0.9.2GDL - GNU Data Language, a free IDL (Interactive Data Language, see http://ittvis.com/idl/) compatible incremental ...
- GNU Privacy Guard v.2.0.19GnuPG is the GNU project's complete and free implementation of the OpenPGP standard as defined by RFC4880. GnuPG allows to encrypt and sign your data and communication, features a versatile key management system as well as access modules for all ...
- GNU Backgammon v.0.10GNU Backgammon (gnubg) plays and analyses backgammon games and matches. It is currently a ...
- GNU Chess v.6.0.2One of the oldest chess programs for Unix-based computers, GNU Chess has been built and improved since 1984. The current version plays at senior master strength (2500+ Elo on simple hardware). Though console based, there are a number of GUIs ...
- GNU Exterior Ballistics Computer v.32A graphical interface for solving exterior ballistics problems, based on the excellent GNU exterior ballistics library. This software generates valid 3-DOF solutions to small arms trajectories, including wind and atmospheric ...
- GNU FemFum_CaLi2CoPi PS Applet v.010709CaLi2CoPi is a multiplatform PDF parser library programmed in PostScript. Works with several specialized switch in order to verify, add, extract or change any PDF content. Also supports online execution on web based user interface via ...
- GNU Gatekeeper (GnuGk) v.3.0The GNU Gatekeeper (GnuGk) is a full featured H.323 gatekeeper under GPL license. It supports VoIP and videoconferencing and includes Radius and database support and many call routing ...
- GNU Ghostscript modules v.000702This project is *not* the current release of GNU Ghostscript: that is available from the usual GNU servers. It contains individual Ghostscript drivers and other modules licensed with the GPL that have not yet been incorporated into a GNU Ghostscript ...
- GNU Gluco Control v.0.4GNU Gluco Control (ggc) helps you to manage your diabetes. It helps managing user's daily data, food data. Has graphs, statistics, printing, meters support and pump support (work in progress). It is platform independent (in ...
- GNU Go v.3.8GNU Go, the leading non-commercial Go program, is a free program that plays the ancient game of Go at about 5 to 7 kyu strength. Multiple board sizes are supported, ranging from 5x5 to 19x19, and there is additional software available that enables ...
- GNU make test framework v.0.1munit is a small test framework for GNU makefiles, inspired by the JUnit project. Since GNU make 3.80, makefiles can become very complex (recursive functions, dynamic contents via eval() etc.). munit has been developed to make it easy to test ...
- GNU MMORPG for Java v.0.020The GMRJ is an open-source, freely-playable, GNU MMORPG written in Java. This project involves the production of graphics, maps, and game elements, as well as the server/client structure of the ...
- GNU Octave Repository v.1.1.2Central storage place for script and function files used with GNU ...
- Aiseesoft DVD Audio Ripper for Mac Aiseesoft DVD Audio Ripper for Mac is the best Mac DVD
- SWF Decompiler for Mac SWF Decompiler converts Flash SWF files back into FLA
- Express Zip Free Mac Compression Software Express Zip Free Mac File Compression Software. Easily
- Tipard DVD to iPad Converter for Mac Tipard DVD to iPad Converter for Mac can convert DVD
- Express Zip Plus for Mac Express Zip Mac Software for File Compression and Archiving.
- Xilisoft Audio Converter Pro for Mac Xilisoft Audio Converter Pro for Mac is a master program
- Express Zip Mac Compression Software Express Zip Mac Software for File Compression and Archiving.
- Zipeg for Macintosh Zipeg is free utility for Mac OS X. Zipeg opens and
- Softwarepile Audio Converter Extractor Max Audio Converter Extractor Max is an easy to use tool to
- Tipard M2TS Converter for Mac Tipard M2TS Converter for Mac can convert M2TS video to