These advanced steps are primarily for system administrators and others who are familiar with the command line. You don't need a bootable installer to upgrade macOS or reinstall macOS, but it can be useful when you want to install on multiple computers without downloading the installer each time.
- Rufus (Windows) When it comes to creating a bootable USB drive in Windows, Rufus is undeniably.
- List of all WD firmware and software available for download.
- Connecting Flash Drive to MAC. This is the first step that a user will take. Connecting USB to Mac is.
Browse the top-ranked list of Mac Flash Drives below along with associated reviews and opinions. SanDisk - Cruzer 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black. Which features password protection and file encryption with the included SecureAccess software. The drive is backward compatible with USB 2.0 for flexibility. See all USB Flash Drives. A Flash Drive is a small self-powered drive that connects to a computer directly through a USB port. It’s both Mac and PC compatible, so you can use it to transfer files between both Macs and PCs. Flash drives can hold any type of data, making them an ideal way to back up your files.
Find the appropriate download link in the upgrade instructions for each macOS version:
macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, ormacOS High Sierra
Installers for each of these macOS versions download directly to your Applications folder as an app named Install macOS Catalina, Install macOS Mojave, or Install macOS High Sierra. If the installer opens after downloading, quit it without continuing installation. Important: To get the correct installer, download from a Mac that is using macOS Sierra 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6. Enterprise administrators, please download from Apple, not a locally hosted software-update server.
OS X El Capitan
El Capitan downloads as a disk image. On a Mac that is compatible with El Capitan, open the disk image and run the installer within, named InstallMacOSX.pkg. It installs an app named Install OS X El Capitan into your Applications folder. You will create the bootable installer from this app, not from the disk image or .pkg installer.
Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal
- Connect the USB flash drive or other volume that you're using for the bootable installer. Make sure that it has at least 12GB of available storage and is formatted as Mac OS Extended.
- Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
- Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace
MyVolumein these commands with the name of your volume.
- Press Return after typing the command.
- When prompted, type your administrator password and press Return again. Terminal doesn't show any characters as you type your password.
- When prompted, type
Yto confirm that you want to erase the volume, then press Return. Terminal shows the progress as the bootable installer is created.
- When Terminal says that it's done, the volume will have the same name as the installer you downloaded, such as Install macOS Catalina. You can now quit Terminal and eject the volume.
* If your Mac is using macOS Sierra or earlier, include the
--applicationpath argument, similar to the way this argument is used in the command for El Capitan.
Use the bootable installer
After creating the bootable installer, follow these steps to use it:
- Plug the bootable installer into a compatible Mac.
- Use Startup Manager or Startup Disk preferences to select the bootable installer as the startup disk, then start up from it. Your Mac will start up to macOS Recovery.
Learn about selecting a startup disk, including what to do if your Mac doesn't start up from it.
- Choose your language, if prompted.
- A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the Internet, but it does require the Internet to get information specific to your Mac model, such as firmware updates. If you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, use the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar.
- Select Install macOS (or Install OS X) from the Utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.
For more information about the
createinstallmedia command and the arguments that you can use with it, make sure that the macOS installer is in your Applications folder, then enter this path in Terminal:
Mac Flash Drive To Pc
When a USB is the only extra storage device in your pocket, it can be somewhat frustrating when your PC no longer recognizes it. It becomes a worthless item, suitable only for the dustbin. You are much likely to wreck the device, but not so fast. If you can repair a damaged hard drive, how much more a corrupted Universal Serial Bus. By using the best USB Drive Repair, you are not only able to salvage important files but also you never have to worry about your drive damaging in the future.
USB Disk Security
Flash Drive Software For Macbook Pro
Don’t just repair a damaged USB drive; protect it from known and unknown threats by using the USB Security Disk. The solution works fine with any antivirus, and it will never slow down your computer.
Worrying about lost files cannot bring the damaged documents back. The worry cannot restore your USB drive to its previous state either. The only remedy is the Flash Boot, a software solution that can repair any damaged USB Drive.
No matter what type of content you’ve lost from your USB drive, the USB Repair will help you to get them back in minutes. Detect viruses, identify human errors, and repair drives previously formatted by accident.
Flash Drive Recovery
This software will restore your USB drive to its normal state. Once you repair your device, your computer should recognize it with ease. The solution is easy to use, it is simple and it works fast.
USB Drive Repair Software for Other Platforms
While reducing your drive to rubble seems like a great idea when the device stops working, destroying the item is not always a feasible solution. Before you can conclude that the USB drive isn’t worth space on your key holder or computer desk, think of repairing the device as being the most practicable and possible solution first. You can use the following software solutions for the job.
USB Flash Drive Recovery for Mac
The USB Flash Drive Recovery for Mac features a friendly, spontaneous interface, making it the best USB drive repair software for Mac Operating Systems. There is a free version, but you can also upgrade the software.
JetFlash Online Recovery for Windows
The USB drive recovery software can repair your USB drive no matter how damaged it may be. It works well on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. However, the repair process will delete all the data on your hard drive, so it is important to repair before using.
Free USB Disk Security Popular in 2016
The USB Flash Repair software download, free is the most popular software for this year. The Free USB Disk Security is the recovery option that guarantees the best results no matter the current state of your device. You can also see USB Blocker Software
Using Flash Drive On Mac
How to Install USB Drive Repair Software?
Pen Drive Recovery Software For Mac
A solution to repair your USB when it cannot work anymore is readily available. All you have to do is to choose the software that you believe will work well for you and you are good to get started. Being able to repair your driver in minutes and recovering your files is quite a revealing, though. Of course, each solution has a user guide for installation and use. Therefore, you need to follow the installation guide provided by the software provider. You can also see PC Maintenance Software
Pen Drive Software For Mac
There are much more USB Drive Repair software on the Internet and in the software vendors’ store, these are the top ones. The suggestions provided herein are secure; they will repair your device without causing information loss. In the end, your computer should recognize your Universal Serial Bus device again.