Follow the instructions below to download, install and connect the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on your Mac computer (OS X 10.9 or newer) to the new MSU VPN.
A vulnerability in the uninstaller component of Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Mac OS could allow an authenticated, local attacker to corrupt the content of any file in the filesystem. The vulnerability is due to the incorrect handling of directory paths. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link (symlink) to a target file on a specific path. Install Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for Mac OS X Double click on AnyConnect. If you see the message: “This package will run a program to determine if the.
- Go to https://www3.montana.edu/software.
Locate the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN Client) section (see image below).
- Click the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (4.8) download link in the Mac OS X row (shownin red below).
The installer file downloads. When download is complete, follow steps below to install.
- Go to your Downloads folder (or whatever location the file was downloaded to) and double-click anyconnect-macos-4.8.00175-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9.dmg to unzip.
- Double-click anyconnect-macos-...pkg file to begin installation (see 1st image below).
The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer window opens (see 2nd image below).
- Click Continue and follow the steps to install.
- Enter your computer's password when prompted.
- Click Close to shut installer window, after installation is finished.
- Click the Move to Trash button when prompted.
Installation will now be complete.
Connect to VPN:
- Go to your Applications folder, open the Cisco folder and then click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. app.
The AnyConnect window opens (see image below).
- Enter vpn.msu.montana.edu (if not already entered) and click Connect (see top image below).
In the login window that opens (see bottom image):
- Select Group (appropriate for you role at MSU, ie MSU-Employee or MSU-Student).
- Enter NetID and NetID password, click OK.
You will now be connected to the MSU VPN. The Cisco icon in the dock will now have a little padlock on it and a tiny version Cisco round logo with padlock will be displayed on top menu bar.
Right-click on the icon in top menu bar and select Disconnect.
To connect in the future:
You will no longer go through Network Preferences to connect to the VPN, just use the AnyConnect app.
Connect by right-clicking on the Cisco AnyConnect icon in the top menu bar or dock, then click the Connect button in the 'VPN Ready to connect' box.
If you don't see the icon in your top menu bar or dock, go to your Applications folder, open the Cisco folder and click the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app. Next click the Connect button as shown in the image under step 4 above.
Cisco AnyConnect is the recommended VPN client for Mac. The built-in VPN client for Mac is another option but is more likely to suffer from disconnects.
Stanford's VPN allows you to connect to Stanford's network as if you were on campus, making access to restricted services possible. To connect to the VPN from your Mac you need to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
Two types of VPN are available:
- Default Stanford (split-tunnel). When using Stanford's VPN from home, we generally recommend using the Default Stanford split-tunnel VPN. This routes and encrypts all traffic going to Stanford sites and systems through the Stanford network as if you were on campus. All non-Stanford traffic proceeds to its destination directly.
- Full Traffic (non-split-tunnel). This encrypts all internet traffic from your computer but may inadvertently block you from using resources on your local network, such as a networked printer at home. If you are traveling or using wi-fi in an untrusted location like a coffee shop or hotel, you may wish to encrypt all of your internet traffic through the Full Traffic non-split-tunnel VPN to provide an additional layer of security.
You can select the type of VPN you want to use each time you connect.
Install the VPN client
Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client Free
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect installer for Mac.
- Double-click the InstallAnyConnect.pkg file to start the Cisco AnyConnect Installer wizard.
- When the Welcome window displays, click Continue.
- Select your hard drive as the destination where you want to install Cisco AnyConnect and then click Continue.
- Click Install to perform a standard installation of the software.
- At the prompt, enter your administrator account password for the Mac and click Install Software.
- When the software has finished installing, click Close.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
- To launch the VPN client, open your Applications folder and navigate to Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app.
- When prompted for a VPN, enter su-vpn.stanford.edu and then click Connect.
- Enter the following information and then click OK:
- Group: select Default Stanford split- tunnel (non-Stanford traffic flows normally on an unencrypted internet connection) or Full Traffic non-split-tunnel (all internet traffic flows through the VPN connection)
- Username: your SUNet ID
- Password: your SUNet ID password
- Next, the prompt for two-step authentication displays.
- Enter a passcode or enter the number that corresponds to another option(in this example, enter 1 to authenticate using Duo Push on an iPad). You may have to scroll down the list to see all of your options. Then click Continue.
- If your only registered authentication method is printed list, hardware token, or Google Authenticator, the menu does not display. Enter a passcode in the Answer field and click Continue.
- Click Accept to connect to the Stanford Public VPN service.
- Once the VPN connection is established, the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock appears in the dock.
Disconnect from the Stanford VPN
Download Cisco Vpn Client For Mac Os X 10.6.8
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock.
- At the prompt, click Disconnect.